January 18, 2011

High Platelet Count Update - Good News

I went to the doctors today and I got good news.  =)

After one week on a doubled dose of Hydroxyurea (HU) 2000mg, my platelet count is coming down!  My count was 940,000 and now it's ..... 747,000!  My platelet count is still very high considering that a normal count should be between 140,000 - 400,000 but I will take a 747,000 platelet count because it means the HU is working!

My white blood cell count, HCT (packed cell volume) & HGB (Hemoglobin) counts were all a little low.  I believe these results just mean I am a bit anemic.  I am already taking an Iron supplement everyday, I may have to take two each day instead of one. 

I didn't get to see the doctor today, I just had to go in for a blood draw.  I will get to meet with the doctor next Tuesday and I will post another update.

Also, thankfully, my family and I are finally starting to recover from the Strep and Flu attack that invaded our home.    =)

I hope everyone is doing well.

- Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment