December 18, 2010

Hematologist - High Platelet Count Almost 1 Million

This week, I got some of the scariest new of my life.

I went into my Dr. for blood work to see if I had developed Diabetes.  I had tingling in my toes, pain in my hips, fatigue, etc.  My Dr. order a full blood work up and the results showed that I did not yet have Diabetes.  Instead it showed I have a very abnormally high Blood Platelet Count, it's almost one million.  I got the lab results back on Tuesday and I have an appointment to see the Hematologist on Monday afternoon. 

I AM VERY SCARED!

My Dr. and lots of friends all say there is nothing to get worked up about until I know what is going on!  Easy for them to say.  You see, I freak out easily and this is HUGE!  It could mean anything from a disease called ET (Essential Thrombocytosis), to Anemia, to G-D forbid - I can't even believe I have to type this word, but CANCER!

In our family we are always worried that there is not enough money in the bank, that the kids are always fighting with each other, etc.  I am here to tell you that nothing else matters but your HEALTH and the HEALTH of your family!  Everything else can be worked out.

I cannot even begin to imagine the worst case scenario, we have five young children. There is no way my husband can manage all of us on his own.  He is a great husband and father (I should tell him that more often) but he is only one person and he has to go to work everyday - the bills will not stop coming just because I am sick! 

I am going to pray for the best but I am the type of person who expects the worse and then if it turns out okay, I feel lucky.

Keep me in your prayers and I will keep everyone posted.

- Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment