February 2, 2011

Pins and Needles - Paresthesia - ER

Monday, during carpool, my left arm started tingling and felt so incredibly painful.  I was going to just let it go but with my Essential Thrombocythemia (which can cause blood clots, etc.) I was very worried.  I have had this pins and needles sensation since the beginning of my diagnosis. 

Pins and needles in my left foot, was what made me go get blood work done with my doctor.  I thought that I would be diagnosed with Diabetes because I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my last child.  Needless to say it was not Diabetes.

The doctors say the pins and needles sensation is caused from my blood sludging / thickening from the high amount of platelets I have in my body.  Most of time it's just annoying but on Monday it felt horrible, painful and the sensation traveled from my left arm to the left side of my face and head.

I went to the ER and they did another CAT scan and an ultrasound of the veins in my left arm.  They found nothing, which is good news. I was released that evening.

I really want the 2500mg of Hydroxyurea to start working so that my platelet numbers will come down!  Think good thoughts!

I go back to the doctors on Tuesday and I will post another update. 

Thank you for letting me share my journey with you.

- Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment