February 23, 2011

Platelet Count Is Down To 530,000!

For the last two weeks my platelet count has dropped down to 530,000! Yippie!  =)   I am so happy. 

When my journey with Essential Thrombocythemia began in January, my platelet count was about one million. I was put on 1000mg of Hydroxyurea, when that didn't work I went up to 1500mg and then finally a dose of 2500mg. 

Now that my platelet count has dropped to decent levels (still high but much better than one million), the doctor has dropped my Hydroxyurea back down to 1500mg per day and I only have to go to the doctor's office every two weeks!

I am hoping things will continue to go well so that I can get off Hydroxyurea all together and just take one baby aspirin per day.  The doctor said this is down the line a bit and when they do put me on aspirin only, it's really just a drug vacation and my platelet numbers will eventually go back up and I will have to take Hydroxyurea again.  There is no cure for Essential Thrombocythemia.  But for now, I will try to take it one day at a time.

I will continue to update everyone on my appointments.

I hope all is well with everyone!

- Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment