January 4, 2011

High Platelet Count - Diagnosis Essential Thrombocythemia


I was admitted to the hospital last night due to severe tingling/pins and needles all over the left side of my body, from my toes to the top of my head.

My platelet count was the highest it's been at 985,000.

The did an ultrasound of my liver and spleen last week along with a Bone Marrow Biopsy.  The ultrasounds came back normal and they're waiting for one more part of my Bone Marrow test to come back.  The Dr. did say that I do not have the JAK2 Gene or two other blood clots genes (that run in my family) they ran tests to look for in my system.

My MRI today in the hospital showed nonspecific 
foci of signal abnormality scattered throughout the sub cortical white matter.  I may have to have another MRI done with contrast.  This could explain the pins and needles sensation I have been experiencing.  The Neurologist also said that having such a high platelet count could also cause issues to the nerves.

My Hem/Onco Dr. said that I have a Myeloproliferative Disorder called 
Essential Thrombocythemia ( you can go to this site to learn more about the disorder - http://www.mpdinfo.org/faq/faq_et.html/ )
and he has started me on a chemo drug called Hydroxyurea tonight.  He gave me two 500mg pills, he will be in the hospital in the morning to check my blood work and see if they have helped my platelets go down.  The Dr. says taking the Hydroxyurea usually works to bring down the platelets but I need to get blood work done once a week and be monitored very carefully in the beginning.

I am worried and scared but I'm hoping that my second MRI is okay and that I get to go home tomorrow because there truly is, No Place Like Home!
Disclaimer:  This is my personal account of medical issues that I am dealing with in my life.  If you suspect that you have something wrong with your health, you should see a health care professional, ASAP!
- Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment