June 17, 2011

Hydroxyurea - Update

I went to the oncologist (I still can't believe I have an oncologist in my 30's!) last week and my platelet count is still high 650,000.  5,000 less than last month but not a great improvement.  He was hoping to be able to decrease my Hydroxyurea (HU) or see how I fared without taking the meds all together.  Instead, I need to stay on my 1,500 mg (3 pills) per day of HU, 1 baby aspirin per day and 1 Iron pill per day!

I told the doctor that all five kids will be home with me this summer, (no summer camp here, we are just trying to keep up with the bills), and he said I don't have to come in for another two months.  LOL!   =)

Hopefully, in two months time, my numbers will have come down enough to reduce my dose of HU!  I really don't want to have keep taking a chemo drug for 40 years!  The exhaustion is a lot to handle when you are trying to raise five kids.  Actually, scratch that, I think it would be a lot for anyone to handle.

No matter how I feel:  exhausted, overwhelmed, scared ...  the thing I feel the most is, BLESSED!

I am ALIVE!  I am with my family and while annoying, this is a disease I can live with for many, many years - Please G-D!

I will posts more updates soon.  I hope everyone is doing well!

- Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment