March 3, 2010

Every Now and Then.

I am the mother of a tween.

She is not a girl, not yet a woman and sometimes I feel like…she is not the daughter that I knew.

The daughter that I knew use to hug me tight, tell me that I was the best mommy ever and that I was the prettiest person she ever saw. I couldn't walk out the door without her running behind me to give me one more hug and kissy. When each of her sisters and brothers wanted to play with her she was excited to play and teach them something new - she was the leader of the pack.

The tween that now lives in our house loves to disagree with me. From the clothes she wants, to her bedtime, to the food she will eat, to the cell phone - we won't let her have yet, etc. You name it, we disagree. She also thinks her little sisters and brother are annoying and are ALWAYS bothering her.

But every now and then, the daughter I knew shows up again.

She gets in the van during carpool excited to see me, she helps make dinner, she says that she needs my advice, she asks if she can use my phone to text her friends, etc. When her sisters ask her to read to them, they all climb into my bed and gather around her engrossed in her story. They think she is the coolest thing ever and you know what? Every now and then, I do too!

I think instead of looking for the daughter I use to know, its time to get excited about the one who is emerging. While I haven't wanted to admit it, she is becoming a teenager. My daughter is: moody, cranky, confused, tired, argumentative, etc. But every now and then ...

No comments:

Post a Comment