March 10, 2010

Everyone needs their Mom!

My Mom just flew back home today after visting us for a week. 

When I dropped her off at the airport, I cried.  My five kids looked at me and said "why are you crying?", I said "because I am going to miss Grammy!"  They all looked at each other and said "you are crying for your Mommy, like we cry for you, when you go somewhere!"

This got me thinking ... there are some things that never change:
  • No matter how old you are, you still need your Mom.
  • When you are sick (or in labor), no one can take care of you like your Mom. 
  • When you feel down and troubled (to quote James Taylor), you've got a friend - in your Mom.
Each time I see my Mom, I can't stop thinking that one day she will be gone.  I know that is a horrible thing to think about but my Aunt passed away from cancer a year ago at 61 years young and a few months later one of her dear friends had a heart attack. 

My mother is special in so many ways.  She took me in and adopted me has a baby, when her other children were already 12 & 13 years old.  Now that I am a mother, I realize what that meant.  It meant that she had to do diapers again, I was very sick, with asthma, so it meant endless doctor and hospital visits, 6 a.m. trips to the pool for practice, sitting outside all day to watch my 2 minute performance in the holiday parade, teacher conferences, homework, etc.  She had to start all over again.

They say that a parent shouldn't try to be their child's friend, they should just be the parent.  I think that is true when your kids are little but when you become an adult, I think there is no better friend than your Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment