April 18, 2011

Hydroxyurea, Exhaustion and Gratefulness

For those of you reading my blog you will be able to note my post about being non-compliant with medication, primarily taking my Hydroxyurea (HU) everyday! 

I saw the doctor two weeks ago and he made me understand why I need to take my meds everyday.  I have been very good and I have been taking my HU, Hemex and baby aspirin everyday.  I have also noticed that my level of exhaustion has increased astronomically!

I have mentioned to the doctor on many occasions that I have been feeling extreme fatigue and most of the time he says it could be from anything but it's not from the HU.

I found the information listed below about Hydroxyurea on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxyurea

Reported side-effects are: drowsiness, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, constipation, mucositis, anorexia, stomatitis, bone marrow toxicity (which may take 7–21 days to recover after the drug has been discontinued), alopecia (hair loss), skin changes, abnormal liver enzymes, creatinine and blood urea nitrogen.

Due to its effect on the bone marrow, regular monitoring of the full blood count is vital, as well as early response to possible infections. In addition, renal function, uric acid and electrolytes, as well as liver enzymes, are commonly checked.


Hydroxycarbamide has been used primarily for the treatment of myeloproliferative diseases, which has an inherent risk of transforming to acute myeloid leukemia. There has been a longstanding concern that hydroxycarbamide itself carries a leukemia risk, but large studies have shown that the risk is either absent or very small. Nevertheless, it has been a barrier for its wider use in patients with sickle-cell disease.

How can my doctor just dismiss my fatigue?  I am sure it's because he feels the benefits of the HU, outweigh the fatigue.  I know that the doctor is right about the meds but it would be nice for my fatigue to be acknowledged as more than just something in my head.

Also, of all the symptoms listed above, I have the following:  drowsiness, constipation, and my hair is thinning......but 
I AM ALIVE! 
I have not had a major stroke, heart attack, blood clot, etc.  The medication is working to bring my platelet count down to a safe level.

I am upset about having to take chemo pills everyday but I am grateful for the results.

Does anyone else out there taking HU, experience extreme fatigue?

Thank you for letting me share my journey with you and thank you for sharing yours with me!

I hope everyone is doing well -
Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment