April 5, 2011

Non Compliant With Medication - Not A Good Thing To Be!

I went to the hematologist today to check my platelet counts, etc.  My count went back up from 500,000 to 715,000 and my iron was very low!  Also, for the first time, I had slightly high blood pressure.  I have had some trouble remembering to take my meds and I have also just skipped them from time to time (I know, I know, read on).

I take 1500 mg a day of Hydroxyurea (the chemo med) and it makes me so tired!  I feel like I could sleep all day and night.  Some days, I don't want to feel so exhausted!  I thought it would be okay, if I missed/skipped a dose here and there but according to the doctor and my platelet count, it's NOT!

The doctor looked mad at me and I started crying.  I told him about the fatigue and I told them that I don't want to take these meds for 20 - 30 years and increase my odds for Acute Leukemia down the road.  I told him I want to see my grandchildren.  His response was that if I don't start taking my meds properly, I could have a stroke or blood clot and not be around for my kids!  I got the message!

Also, he told me that the reason I am so tired is probably because my iron count is low, not the Hydroxyurea.

My husband is going to remind me everyday and set my cell phone to remind me as well.  My next appointment is in a month, hopefully my numbers will be better.

I was trying to forget about the reality of my disease but I guess your body will always find ways to remind you!

I hope everyone is doing well.  Every day is a new day!

- Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment